Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bacon Maple Donuts Made by a Real Mom...not Martha Stewart.

Most people have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. I mean we LOVE the great ideas and the thoughts of actually doing some of the projects we find. But we HATE when we spend the time and money and it just doesn't turn out the same. 


Or even close.


Pinterest and Martha Stewart just aren't a doable reality for the majority of us. (Which is probably a large part of the reason Martha is so stinking rich and we are not.)


I used to try to make my blog pictures look all artsy and fancy. I took photos with my fancy pants DSLR camera. I made sure my kitchen appeared clean and tidy. But really, who has a clean kitchen while they are cooking?


This time, I used my cell phone to take pics and left everything as normal. Why? BECAUSE I'M A REAL MOM!!


So if you're here looking for one of those June Cleaver meets the Queen of England proper posts, I suggest you move along.


But if you're here to find out how to make super easy, super yummy MAPLE GLAZED BACON DONUTS *cue angels singing* you are in the right place!


Gather these ingredients:



1 package of bacon
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 can refrigerated buttermilk buscuits
vegetable oil





First, fry your bacon up nice and crisp.


Wait. 


Who still fries bacon?


NOT THIS GIRL! 


Thanks to my friend "Mrs. Bulldog" I no longer deal with that messy bacon grease splattering everywhere. I just bake it in the oven!






I baked it at 400º for about 25 minutes or so. (I used thick cut bacon.) It came out like this.






SO EASY AND NOT MESSY!


Just chop it up and set it aside.


Next, whisk together:


1 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla


Set aside.


Take buttermilk refrigerated biscuits and separate them. Cut holes in the middle. I dumped out a bottle of expired medicine and used it for the hole puncher. (Don't worry. I washed it out first.)






Wah lah! Perfect little holes. (Is that how you spell "wah lah?" My spell check is not being helpful.)


Heat oil to 350º. Drop biscuits in and fry until golden brown and then flip and brown the other side.






Or you can do what I did and fry them until they are dark golden brown because you didn't realize they would cook so fast.


(The other side is darker....so naturally, that's the side I chose to glaze. Shhhhhh! No one will ever know!)


Spread glaze on one side of the donut and sprinkle with bacon pieces.


Serve on fancy china.










You may need a ShamWow® to absorb all the wet kisses you get when you making these for your kids.
Lastly, be sure to sneak one (or three) off to the side for yourself!




Special thanks to my friend Kathy who gave me this recipe. She actually is one of those super duper moms that makes the rest of us look bad...but she's so sweet we love her anyway. It doesn't hurt that she shares her yummy food. :)


1 comment:

Babes Mami said...

Delicious! I too have fine china. I love baking my bacon, no more splattering burning and I actually LIKE to cook bacon now!